Register as a GNM Student

Step 1: Apply for GNM Status

To register as a graduate nonmatriculated (GNM) student, you’ll need to apply for GNM status first. Contact the academic department directly for information on applying. Be sure to ask about application deadlines — these dates are set by each graduate program. 

Not every department chooses to offer the GNM option. If they do, and they consider you a qualified candidate, they’ll provide instructions as well as any specific department admissions requirements.

At a minimum, prospective GNM students must:

  • Hold a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S. or its equivalent from a foreign institution
  • Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4-point scale) for the last 90 graded quarter credits or 60 graded semester credits

When you’re ready, apply online to the Graduate School. To check on a decision on your application, log into the application site as a returning applicant.

Step 2: Download and Print Forms

Once you’ve been accepted as a GNM student, download the registration forms to your computer.

The forms are editable PDFs. To fill them out, simply type in your information and then print them out. If you prefer to fill out the forms by hand, you can download them and write in the information.

Step 3: Find Your Course

Go to the UW Time Schedule

Under Current and future quarters, click on the academic quarter for which you’d like to register.

Once you've found your course, make a note of the below information. You’ll need it for your registration form.

uw time schedule legend

  • SLN (schedule line number)
  • Curriculum abbreviation
  • Course number
  • Section ID
  • Course name
  • Number of credits

Step 4: Add Course Information and Calculate Fees

Using the course information you noted in Step Two, complete the Registration Approval and Student Registration forms.

On the registration form, you'll need to enter the course and technology fees and then total the fees, including the registration fee. See Tuition & Fees for tuition and fee information.

Step 5: Get Signatures

To enroll in a UW class as a non-degree student, you must obtain the necessary approvals on the Registration Approval form. If you don’t already have the signatures, email the appropriate academic department and instructor to request approval to register. E-mailed instructor and departmental registration approvals are acceptable in place of the Registration Approval form.

Step 6: Submit Forms and Payment

Scan and email the completed Registration Form, signed Registration Approval Form (or e-mailed registration approvals from the instructor and the department) to Non-Degree Registration Services at

Full payment — or a purchase order or letter authorizing third-party payment — is due at the time of registration. Learn about payment options.

If you’d like to pay by credit card, do not include your credit card information in your e-mail. Instead, please call us at 206-543-2310 with that information.

Step 7: Check Your Enrollment Status

After you submit your registration forms and complete payment, you’ll be placed on standby status and we’ll attempt to enroll you in the course. Check your enrollment status by logging on to MyUW.

myuw screenshot

When you're in standby status, you'll see a status line on the course card in MyUW. Once you're enrolled, this line will go away.

Most students are enrolled within the first three days of the quarter. If you’re not enrolled by then, we’ll continue to try to enroll you unless we hear from you. In the meantime, you should attend class because we still may be able to find you a spot. In some cases, you may need to obtain an add code from the instructor or department in order for us to complete your registration.

Note that enrollment as a non-degree student is on a standby, space-available basis only and cannot be guaranteed. If you can’t be enrolled, you’ll be issued a full refund.

Vaccination Attestation

Starting autumn quarter 2021, all UW students, including online students, must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or declare an exemption. You can verify your vaccination status or claim an exemption through a secure vaccination attestation form (UW NetID required).

Please don’t delay in submitting your attestation; you’re asked to submit the form as soon you’re fully vaccinated, have decided to declare an exemption, or by the start of autumn quarter on September 29, 2021, whichever date comes first.

A hold will be placed on your account and you’ll be prevented from registering for winter quarter if your attestation is not submitted by November 5, 2021.


Need help? Contact us